Today is my and my wife’s 18th wedding anniversary, so naturally that is where I will start with this year’s list of what I’m most grateful for.
What I’m most grateful for this year:
- 18 years of having someone to laugh, smile, frown, cry with, and not worry about dangling prepositions with.
- Being able to go with her to one of her sister’s wedding last month.
- Our first niece Grace Elizabeth born to my sister Lisa and brother-in-law Warren last month. Grace joins brother Jonathan, who just turned 8 earlier this month.
- Having a part-time job at a library, not only because I am around books, but also because it coincidentally gives me time to read. That is because of the hours I work, mostly at night and only one Saturday a month.
- As much as I love my job, I also enjoy time off, especially successive days off from work. For example, when I work on a Saturday, our director allows me to take off the previous Monday, which gives me a three-day weekend. This week, and also over Christmas, because of when the holidays fall, I have two five-day weekends.
- Reading for much of those two weekends as my wife, a 911 dispatcher, works most of the time that I have off, although we do have one day off together on each of the weekends. Thanksgiving, I am participating in Thankfully Reading Weekend 2014. Christmas, I am not in any organized event.
- Reading “power of” books and The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People, and trying to implement some of the principles found within those books.
- Discovering authors new to me, especially Michael Koryta, James Lee Burke, and Tim Dorsey, and continuing with authors I already like, especially Michael Connelly and Jonathan Maberry.
- TV and movies: M*A*S*H, Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Guardians of the Galaxy, Raising Hope, Criminal Minds, CSI: NY, Numb3rs, Leverage, Portlandia, Endeavour, Midsomer Murders, Parks and Recreation, The Perks of Being A Wallflower.
- Music: Sturgill Simpson, Todd Terje, Spoon, FKA Twigs, First Aid Kit, to name only 5 bands/artists I’ve been digging this year.
So what are you most grateful for this year? Share in the comments or in your own blog post and link back here if you’d like.