Each Friday, I use St. Ignatius of Loyola’s Examen to ask for what am I most grateful this past week? I also sometimes ask: For what am I least grateful this past week?
What I’m most grateful for this past week:
- A four-day weekend this past weekend, including reading on Sunday and going on a hike with my wife on Monday.
- Returning to work and not finding lots of problems waiting for me. Not that as a library assistant I usually do but still…
- Small thing in the larger scheme of things but still worth mentioning: Organizing my cell phone home screen calendar so don’t see work every day and can have other things to look forward to than just the routine.
- Asking for, and getting, day off on Friday of Labor Day Weekend, especially on such short notice, to end month with another four-day weekend. Wife has off Friday but doesn’t know if has Monday off yet because doesn’t have September schedule yet. I didn’t realize…until earlier in week, but glad I have boss who allowed me the time off when she didn’t have to do so.
So what are you most grateful for this past week?
Just taken yesterday, this is the Photo of the Week as determined by number of likes on Instagram. Sometimes it’s just about being in the right place at the right time. Caption: What’s at the end of a rainbow? A funeral home, what else?
As I’ve been doing this so far this year, I thought I’d look back at my previous month and ahead to my next month.
So first here’s how I did in July on my goals for 2014: personal, blogging, reading, and social media – with thoughts on how I can improve on these for June.
- Personal goals: Still not enough exercise and still want to go on bike rides with my wife. She was in a musical Spamalot so a little busy. Me? I have no excuse.
- Blog goals: On limited blogging schedule for July. Have new plans for August, but we’ll see.
- Reading goals: Still no reading challenges and still reading what I want.
- Social media goals: Limited on Facebook for part of the month. Weeding way through Google Plus and Twitter.
- Reading: Three out of the four books I read this past month (34 books for the year) were really good. They were: Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell, World of Trouble by Ben H. Winters, and The Power of a Positive No by William Ury. The fourth wasn’t as good: Fangirl, also by Rowell, but it was good in its own way.
- Watching: Series that begin with the letter ‘L’: Watched all of Longmire that is available on Netflix, first two seasons, but wished in this one instance, that we had cable so I could keep up with the show, and started a new series to me: Leverage, which was not what I thought it was.
- Listening to: Richard Reed Parry’s Music for Heart and Breath. Nels Cline Singers’ Macroscope. Shabazz Palaces’ Lese Majesty. Parry is a member of the band Arcade Fire.
Here is a sample of Parry’s work:
I’m still plugging away at the 100 Happy Days meme on Instagram. Sigh. Trying to be happy and all that jazz.
- Doing: I wasn’t doing much this past month, but my wife was in the musical Spamalot as I mentioned so that kept her busy anyway.
- Saying: I didn’t have a whole lot to say here on the blog or otherwise IRL. We’ll see about next month.
- Other: Being able to go to Spamalot with my wife’s father and stepmother.
The view ahead
I have a new (re)focus for the blog, but we’ll see if it happens. If it does, I’ll be making the grand (re)announcement Sunday here on the blog. I have no plans reading-wise. Watching? Guardians of the Galaxy, but will have to wait until next weekend to see since Wife is away this weekend as she’s going to see her dad in a play in Maryland (we live in upper Pennsylvania). Listening? Nothing that I’m looking forward to. Photographing? Keeping the course with #100happydays. Doing? Biking with Kim. Saying? Maybe a little more?
How about you? How was your month of July and what are you looking forward to in August? Read any good books, heard any good music, watched any good movies, taken any good photographs last month? And/or what do you have on tap for August?