At the start of June, I had a plan not to fritter away my birthday month. I thought it would be good to go over with what my goals were for the month and how I did on each.
- Walk once a day. —- Done.
- Read Sherlock Holmes short stories on all the Sundays in June. —- Colossal fail, but was away for two of the Sundays: the first with my wife on a wine tour; the second with my father on Father’s Day.
- Read not only crime fiction but other books this month to help me become a better person than I am and expand my mind. — Another colossal fail.
- Continue the practice of using The Book of Common Prayer for morning prayer and adding it for evening prayer. — Partial success as I did it most of the time.
- Taking a photo a day of whatever strikes me as worth taking a photo of. No tags, no memes. Just a photo a day. — partial fail, photo but of daily walk, almost meme, not photo a day, but just whatever, not only food.
So a mixed bag, but my birthday weekend itself (from June 5 through June 9, my actual birthday) was a success. No, I didn’t do anything or go anywhere, but it was relaxing. The following weekend, on Sunday, June 14, my wife and I went to the Smokin’ Summer Kickoff on the Seneca Lake Wine Trail and we visited 10 wineries. We also went to Nickel’s Pit BBQ in Watkins Glen, which my sister recommended as good, and which was good.
The only downside to the day was that we barely escaped major flooding there as my wife had to navigate through rising waters to get out of town. Luckily, we didn’t stop for lunch. Otherwise, we might have been stuck in Watkins Glen for the night, which under normal circumstances probably would be okay, but since we had spent a little money on wine, it’s not like we had lots of extra play there.
So what will I do for July? Will I continue to walk once a day? Will I actually read Sherlock Holmes short stories? Will I take photos of other things besides food and walking? Will I add a third prayer time to my day? Well, let’s just say my goals aren’t lofty for this coming month, but I’d like to continue with some kind of walking regimen, maybe read a little Sherlock Holmes but not on a schedule, take photos of whatever strikes my fancy as I mentioned last month, and incorporate prayer into my being so it’s not just a rote thing I do, but what I live. Along the way, I’ll keep you posted on my progress or lack thereof.
Sunday: I’ll give a review of what I read during the month of June. Eight books in all. Stop back by to see which ones and which were my favorites and not so favorites.